Become a Rideshare Driver
If you want to drive for Uber or a similar company in New Zealand there are a few things you need to know. New Zealand law has legal requirements for driving passengers and not following the rules can result in very significant fines. The requirements are currently as follows:
- Must have held a full licence for at least two years and be 21 or older.
- Passenger Endorsement licence required (will involve medical check, fit and proper person NZ Police check and overseas criminal/traffic record check if you have lived overseas for 12 months or more since the age of 14).
- Must hold a Small Passenger Service Licence or drive under someone else’s SPSL (Either by employment/contracting or having your trips arranged by an authorised facilitator).
- Must have a Certificate of Fitness (COF) for your vehicle.
- Must complete a logbook and abide by working time rules.
- Commercial insurance (not compulsory, but you won’t be covered by a personal policy. See Insurance).
Rideshare Tax Made Easy with Taxi Tax
With Taxi Tax you have no reason to fear the IRD, we have the expertise to get the most out of your tax.